maanantai 17. huhtikuuta 2017

Aitutaki



Pacific countryside. Quiet island of 1700 inhabitants. Smiling people greeting you in the streets. Little kids running around in diapers. Breathtaking blue lagoon and small, deserted islands (motus). Beaches covered in coconut trees. Scorching sun. Raving storms.

This is what the island of Aitutaki is made of.

I took a holiday from my holiday and traveled to Aitutaki, the second most inhabited island in the Cook Islands. Aitutaki is even a bit closer to the Equator and is even a bit hotter and more humid than Rarotonga. And it is beautiful.

At first I struggled with the idea of spending almost two weeks in a place so quiet, but when the sun came out after some serious rain, and i finally got to do my favorite activity here, relaxing on the beach, I quickly fell in the even more laid back Aitutaki mood. And somehow the time just slid by.

Aitutaki has a small hospital with two doctors and usually only one, two or no inpatients. I didn't let the hospital know before hand I was coming but I just walked in one day and they were happy to receive my services. They directed me to work with the island's rugby club, Aitutaki Sharks, on their game against the defending champion from Raro. They took my number and they even called me back, and I ended up working for three half days, which I really enjoyed. The people I met were just so lovely and friendly.

When my visit had come to an end, it was actually hard to leave. My friend stayed behind, spending two more weeks on the island. The blue lagoon seemed even bluer than usual. The sun was even sunnier, the coconut trees even greener. But it was no good. The ticket had my name on it and the plane was not going to leave without me. So I left the paradise behind me.

What will I remember from my Aitutaki experience? At least these things:

The people. The frendliest I've ever met. The staff in the hospital, especially the manager, the drivers, the public health nurse. The two mamas and papa whose homes I visited as a physio. When a mama gave me a small towel to wipe off my sweat and when she insisted I keep it. When the same mama gave me two huge pumpkins. When a mama in purple hair was so grateful for my advise, she hugged me tightly, gave me two kisses, and hoped all the best for me and that God bless me in my journey. When a 7-year-old girl came over to me and made me play a game where she said a word in Maori and I had to guess what it means. When she drew pictures on her leg and I had to know what they were and then she got upset with me when I didn't realise the tree she drew was a plum tree (stupid me!). When she said I'm a papa'a (white). When the Aitutaki Sharks coach, after they had won the defending champion for the first time ever, told me "You made the difference." When the team gave me three hip-hip-heys!

The nature. The most beautiful I've ever seen. The breathtaking Blue Lagoon. The torquoise water and white beaches full of coral and shells. Lagoon cruise to the small islands (motus), including Heaven Sandbank and One Foot Island. Snorkeling with Giant Trevallies and giant clamshells. Seeing two sting rays (one of them was hanging in the harbour right next to land, in shallow water). Seeing two sea turtles and an octopus. And so many crabs. Storms.

The lifestyle. Simple. Slow. Remote. Food is expensive and there's not much variety. Not even most of the fruits were in season.
The roads. Full of potholes. When there was a traffic jam because they were fixing the mainroad and closed it for 5 minutes. When
I got yelled at when I scootered over a thin strip of fresh asfalt.

When I was allowed to sit in the cockpit on our flight from Raro to Aitutaki.


One Foot Island. The story says a father and a son fled to this island from another
tribes warriors. Before they stepped on the sand, the father took his son in his arms and carried him to a tree where the son stayed hidden. The warriors came and killed the father but the son was saved because there was only one set of footprints on the sand.

Heaven Sandbank.


Best place to get married.

Akaiami Island.

Have an island to your self.
Tumunu Island. Also known as Lepracy Island, where they brought people with lepracy to be isolated.

James H. is my idol.
Nice view from the biggest church.
The "town": a shop, two churches, police station etc.
And a big intersection!
Giant Trevaly on the bottom on the right. Scared tourist on the top.
Serious physio.
Happy physio.
Concentrated physio.
Tanned physio!
Traffic jam.
Aitutaki hospital.

View from the house.


Double scoop Aitutaki style.

A public phone! Retro stuff.

Rock was dry.

Aitutaki physio is a cool young woman.


Blue Lagoon Resort gas their own island. The rumour says the bungalows are 2500 dollars a night. But don't worry, you can buy a day ticket for 99 dollars, which includes nothing.

Our house. Everybody knows the house with the arches.
What else do you need?

Terveisiä kotiin.
Bye bye Aitutaki! See ya soon!


Riikka

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti